You are here: Home | Help for Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability without an EHC plan

Help for Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability without an EHC plan

Most children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability(SEND) are supported in an educational setting without the need for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. They are supported within their setting through 'Early Years Support', 'School Support' or Individual Learning Support at college and other post 16 providers. Such support aims to meet a child or young person's needs so that they can attain their individual goals.

In Rotherham, all settings are expected to have systematic approaches to identifying those with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability and intervening to support and remove barriers to learning and progress. Support for SEND may be planned for through a systematic mapping of provision, through individual education, Health Care, Family Common Assessment Framework (FCAF), Early Support or Family Service Support plans or, for some children or young people, through an SEN Support plan. All settings should discuss any concerns and any support they put in place with the parent, carer and/or young person right from the start. Where appropriate a range of professionals might be involved and form a 'Team Around the Child' (TAC) in order to coordinate their support.

A SEN Support Plan is used to record the special educational needs of children and young people, monitoring their progress towards desired outcomes and tracking resources utilized within the educational setting. A SEN Support Plan should contain the same type of information as Individual Education Plans (IEPs) or Provision Maps, which most settings are familiar with and reflect a person-centred approach. The Local Authority recommends that schools and other educational settings use such a document for children and young people who have SEN that require targeted support over an extended period and/or require support from external specialists e.g. specialist teachers or educational psychologists. Using such an approach will help the setting provide information and evidence to support for a request for a statutory assessment if that is later felt necessary.

If a child, their parent or a young person disagrees with the support received, the first people to talk to are teachers/lecturers or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator/Inclusion Manager of the setting they are in.

If there are still concerns, you can request a meeting with your setting's Manager, Headteacher, Principal or similar. All schools also have an SEN Governor who can look into your concerns as well. 'SEN Support: A graduated response' gives further details about what to expect from education providers.

If you would like advice and support parents can contact Rotherham SENDIASS

Support for young people is available from the Integrated Youth Support Service (IYSS)